Have you ever thought about your day-to-day routine and realized that you’ve been on autopilot? You’ve been doing everything your “suppose” to be doing—working, eating and hopefully sleeping—then getting up and doing it all over again. Maybe for years and years without even thinking it through.
All of a sudden you look up after a bunch of time has past and you’re not really sure why you’ve been living this way.
I think this happens to everyone—we all have expectations about how life should be and sometimes don’t think about what makes us happy and what is truly meaningful.
For me, meaningful living means living on my own terms, having flexibility and independence. I want to be present in the here and now, spend quality time with my family and friends, take in the simple moments, experience different cultures, learn as much as I can, create things, make progress mentally and physically and be a positive impact on those around me.
It sounds like a lot when I write it down but in reality, it’s pretty simple. It’s so easy to get caught up in the non-important stuff. It’s easy to go with the grain, blend in and essentially try to please everyone.
There are a few key practices that you can take to move towards a more meaningful life:
- Self-awareness– The more you understand yourself and what you value, the easier it is to confidently live on those terms.
- Know what’s important– What are are few of the most important things in your life? Write them down and align yourself.
- Go after your dreams- Whatever fuels you, inspires you or makes you happy, go after it. Even if you’re not making a living with your hobby or never want to, who cares! It’s important that you regularly harness your creativity.
- Be grateful– Having gratitude for what we have right now is a huge step forward in living with meaning. We all have things and people in our lives to be thankful for.
- Simplify– Get rid of the crap and sucky people in your life. Welcome in (and focus on) the experiences, people and things that you care about.
- Life with compassion– For all living things.
Finding meaning in life is a never-ending journey. I think that our sense of what’s “meaningful” can also shift over time. What you find meaningful today, might be different tomorrow, and that’s okay!
Where do you find meaning? Comment below =)
“The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams.” ~ Oprah
Thanks for reading,